April 2nd through April 6th


Keenoy Pup’s News                                             4-6-18

Dear Families,

I can’t believe that we are dealing with snow events during the first weeks of April!  The 5th grade year is coming to an end soon.  April and May are jam packed with events. You will notice that my newsletters will start becoming filled with more general information vs. academic. Have a wonderful week and thank you for your support each day.

Pups of the Week-Abbie F. and Brody C.



Hello, my name is Brody.  I live in my house with one brother, my mom, and my dog Baxter.  Baxter is a multi-poo which is a mix between a Maltese and a Poodle. I have a tetherball pole in my backyard and I love to play lacrosse. Some of my hobbies include playing viola and going to National Parks. I really enjoy being in this class, and I am very thankful for the support that my family gracefully gives. I also enjoy memes!








Hi!  My name is Abbie. I have four family members and no pets.  My family members include my mom, dad, and Jannes (my brother) who is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.  My mom is from the island of St. Lucia and my dad is from England.  My hobbies include reading, writing, drawing, poetry, and hanging out with my friends.  I love watching Doctor Who and playing video games such as Minecraft, Roblox, and Doki Doki Literature Club.  I also have an interest in Japanese culture, as I am currently learning the language and watching anime shows.  I am also a brown belt in Karate class, which means that I only need two more belts until black.  I have made friends with all my fellow classmates and Mr. Keenoy too😊


The next Pup of the Week is Lilly M.  Please bring any pictures or items that you would like to put on our bulletin board that is located outside of our classroom

MAP Testing
Testing will begin on Monday, April 16. Students can use their own earbuds or headphones for testing.  Avoid making appointments (for your child) during these times if possible.  Prompt attendance will be very important during testing days.  Please see the testing schedule below.

Monday, April 16         10:15-11:50 (Science session 1)
Tuesday, April 17         8:30-10:30 (Science session 2)
Wednesday, April 18    10:15-11:50 (ELA session 1)
Thursday, April 19       10:15-11:50 (ELA session 2 and 3)
Monday, April 23         8:30-10:30 (Math session 1)
Tuesday, April 24         10:15-11:50 (Math session 2 and 3)

*These are estimated times. Since none of the sessions are timed, students will have the time they need (if they are making forward progress) to complete each session.

Math
We will complete Topic 6 next week.  The last lessons in this unit will focus on:

*Making estimates and dividing decimals by whole numbers.
*Generating equivalent division problems and dividing decimals by decimals.
*Order data expressed as decimals.  Use decimal operations to answer questions about data.
*I plan on reviewing and testing by the end of next week.

Writing
This week, we have reviewed and practiced some of the steps needed to write an effective research based argument essay.
*Try and think about a topic that is debated and you can understand both sides to the argument.
* Before taking a Firm stance, keep an open mind and read about the topic from trusted sources.
*Take effective notes thinking about Pros and Cons......for or against.
*Decide on a stance that you want to take.
*Collect "Fast Draft or Quick Write" your position and reasons why.

Reading
Students seemed to enjoy Children of the Dust Bowl during read aloud.  This book focuses on the struggles in the midwestern section of our country because of drought and the great depression in the 1930’s.  During our read aloud time next week, we will spend some time reviewing testing strategies for the MAP test.  There are a couple of online language arts sources that we will explore.  Students will also take an assessment over the comprehension strategies practiced during the last couple of months (main idea, cause/effect, point of view, and theme).

Science
Students are learning about the three states of matter as we spend time reviewing science concepts this week.  We have had several great discussions that led to better understanding.  We will continue our work with matter into next week.

Social Studies
Our class is learning more about the first battles of the Civil War in chapter 12 of our social studies book.  Next week we will continue learning about the conflicts between the North and the South.  We will also learn about how our country recovered during the reconstruction process. 

Upcoming Dates
Wednesday, April 11                Early Release Day-12:50 p.m.  Dismissal
Friday, April 13            Paxton Keeley Color Run Registration Due Date
Friday, April 13            Square 1 Art Orders Due (these were sent home Tuesday)
Monday, April 16                     5th Grade MAP Testing-Starts
Tuesday, April 24                     5th Grade MAP Testing-Last Day
Friday, April 27            Paxton Keeley Color Run-5:00 p.m.
Monday April 30                      Get Acquainted Night for Middle Schools
Friday, May 11             Rock Bridge State Park Field Trip (ecosystems-science)
Thursday, May 17th                   5th Grade Party-ARC

BUSY DAYS AHEAD!  FUN…..BUT VERY BUSY!  Have a Wonderful Week😊


Sincerely,
                                                                                    Mr. Keenoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 18th through 22nd

April 23rd through 27th

December 11th through 15th