April 9th through 13th


Keenoy Pup’s News                                             4-13-18

Dear Families,

The weeks are flying by right now, and I am staying extremely busy at home and school.  I’m looking forward to the warmer weather, but was not super excited about cutting the grass for the first time on Thursday.  Please let me know if you have any questions about the busy last two months ahead.  Have a terrific weekend.

Pups of the Week-Lilly M.

Hi!  My name is Lilly.  At home, my family includes myself, my mom, and my dad.  I am originally from Louisburg, a small town in Kansas.  We moved almost eight years ago to Columbia.  When I am not at school or home, I am usually on the dance floor.  Dancing has been my passion ever since the age of three.  This summer I hope to start the activity horseback riding.  When I am older, I hope to get my major in teaching.  I was happy to start the year that is now coming to an end.  I want to give a special thanks to Mr. Keenoy and my classmates.  Thank you for making this last year at Paxton truly great.





The next Pup of the Week is Sabrina H.  Please bring any pictures or items that you would like to put on our bulletin board that is located outside of our classroom.

iMovie Update
Congratulations to Caleb, Kyle, and Kalen in Mrs. Racker’s class for winning the best invention iMovie for 5th grade! The invention they focused on was chemotherapy. Since cancer negatively effects so many families, an invention to fight this terrible disease is a terrific one!  I was extremely pleased with each of the iMovies created in our class. Well done Pups!

MAP Testing
Testing will begin on Monday, April 16. Students can use their own earbuds or headphones for testing.  Avoid making appointments (for your child) during these times if possible.  Prompt attendance will be very important during testing days.  Please see the testing schedule below.

Monday, April 16         10:15-11:50 (Science session 1)
Tuesday, April 17         8:30-10:30 (Science session 2)
Wednesday, April 18    10:15-11:50 (ELA session 1)
Thursday, April 19       10:15-11:50 (ELA session 2 and 3)
Monday, April 23         8:30-10:30 (Math session 1)
Tuesday, April 24         10:15-11:50 (Math session 2 and 3)

*These are estimated times. Since none of the sessions are timed, students will have the time they need (if they are making forward progress) to complete each session.


Math
We tested over Unit 6 today and will start Unit 7 next week.  Unit 7 focuses on the multiplication of mixed numbers, geometry, and graphs.


Writing
Next week students will investigate the idea of Traditional or Year-Round school scheduling.   The school year includes approximately the same amount of days, but breaks (during the year) are split up much differently. 

Following the conclusion of our research, students primarily focus on choosing and developing three supportive reasons for the side that they favored. We will continue to look at and depict different characteristics of the argumentative essay rubric. We will also practice the format of our argumentative essays by developing well-written beginnings and body paragraphs.

Reading
I continue to meet with small groups each day to support the comprehension skills taught this year.  We will pick back up with a new read aloud book after MAP testing.  I have several great book selection choices in mind, but have not decided yet.

Science/Social Studies
Since MAP testing will take up most of our morning time, we will not have a consistent Science and Social Studies time.  My primary focus will be on MAP testing, Reading, and Writing. 

Word Study
I was not able to fit in Word Study like I had planned.  Students now have their ten words and will be asked to study these words next week.  I really hope to get back into a routine with teaching spelling rules for the remainder of the year.

Upcoming Dates
Monday, April 16         5th Grade MAP Testing-Starts
Tuesday, April 24         5th Grade MAP Testing-Last Day
Friday, April 27            Paxton Keeley Color Run-5:00 p.m.
Monday April 30          Get Acquainted Night for Middle Schools @ 6 p.m.
Friday, May 11             Rock Bridge State Park Field Trip (ecosystems-science)-more info coming
Thursday, May 17        5th Grade Party-ARC-more information coming
Tuesday, May 22          5th Grade Graduation @ 9:00 am (in the gym)



Sincerely,
                                                                                            Mr. Keenoy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 18th through 22nd

April 23rd through 27th

December 11th through 15th