January 17th through 19th

Dear Parents,
    
     Time seems to be flying by right now!  It is hard to believe that the second trimester is already coming to an end soon.   I will be sending home parent/teacher conference information today and look forward to visiting with you again about your child’s progress.  

     I will not be sending home Work/Study Habit marks today.  I complete those sheets on Thursday evenings and we have only had two days of school.  I plan on combining this week with next and will send them home next Friday with comments.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email or call.  Thank you for everything that you do and enjoy a fantastic weekend!

Pup of the Week-Luke E.
Hello my name is Luke. I have 2 sisters and 1 brother that are all the same age.  In other words,  I am a quad. I love to play sports when I have free time.  I also like to watch Missouri Tiger sports.  When I'm not playing sports I'm usually doing my homework or doing some type of math. Over the summer I went to Mexico and I got to see dolphins and sea lions.  My parents are both amazing and my teacher is not too shabby either:)











Pup of the week on Monday-Hillary A.
Please bring any pictures or items that you would like to put on our bulletin board that is located outside of our classroom.

Reading/Project
In reading, we have had terrific conversations about how to identify the main idea.  The strategy that we have discussed is listing out the important events.  Then, we ask ourselves what these events are mostly about and how they are connected?  This has helped students identify main ideas in both fiction and non-fiction texts.  We have also connected main ideas to identifying the Theme of a story.  We discussed how the Theme is usually the main idea described by using one word.  We have also discussed how it can be the moral or "Big Idea" of the story. 

From these great conversations I decided to dive into a classroom project about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  After reading an article and discussing these comprehension strategies, students then identified the theme and main idea of an informational text about him.  Students then wrote a paragraph about what "Equality" means to them.  We combined all of this information into a poster, and hung them up in our hallway.  I am VERY proud of the effort put into this work.  Please take some time during conference week to read through some of their ideas.

Math
We are chugging along in our topic 4 decimal unit.  This week students learned more about ordered pairs on a coordinate grid.  Next week students will be learning more about adding and subtracting decimals.  

Writing
We are working on researching a charity and focusing on how to organize this information into our writing.  We will continue this work next week and also start working on drafting a beginning.

Science
We just started a a fun experiment by measuring our own reaction time with a meter stick.  Our class then decided to compare 5th grade reaction times with people who are between the ages of 40-50.  Next week students will find the reaction time averages and create a graph to display their findings.  Make sure to ask your child more about the conclusion (results) of this fun experiment.  My hypothesis is that the Old People will have a much faster reaction time! :)  Old, Wise, and Fast! 

Have a wonderful Week!
Dan Keenoy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 18th through 22nd

April 23rd through 27th